To setup wireless communication, use the HP Officejet Pro 8720 wireless printer setup wizard from your Hp Officejet Pro 8720 printer’s control panel.
- From control panel, touch setup.
- Now select Network setup.
- Go to wireless settings
- Touch wireless setup wizard.
- Now follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup.
Change the connection type
After the printer driver installation and connecting the printer to a network, you can change the connection type if required, using the software.
Connecting an Ethernet cable turns off the printer’s wireless capability. So if you need to change to a wireless connection, the Ethernet Cable should not be connected to the printer.
You can either change from a USB connection to a wireless connection or Ethernet connection to a wireless connection.
Changing from Ethernet connection to wireless connection :
- Remote the Ethernet cable from the printer
- If you have installed the printer software, open it.
- Run the wireless setup wizard to make the wireless connection
OS X :
- Connect the printer to your wireless network.
- Use HP Setup Assistant in Applications / Hewlett-Packard / Device Utilities to change the connection to wireless.
Changing from USB Connection to a wireless network
- Windows 8 – Right click an empty area in the start screen, click All Apps-> Printer Name -> Utilities
- Windows 7 , Vista & XP – From desktop, click Start -> All Programs -> HP -> folder of your Printer
- Click Printer Setup & Software
- Select Convert a USB connected printer to wireless. Follow the instructions onscreen.
OS X :
- Connect your printer to the wireless network.
Test the wireless connection
You can print the wireless test report to get info about your HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer’s wireless connection. This provides information about printer status, MAC address, and IP address. Thus you can make sure that HP Officejet Pro 8720 wireless printer setup has been successfullly completed.
How to print the wireless test report?
- From the control panel, touch wireless -> Settings
- Touch Print Reports
- Touch Print Wireless Test Reports.
How to turn on of off the wireless capability of a printer?
By default, the wireless capability of the printer will be On. If the wireless light is blinking, that means wireless is enabled on the printer but there is no wireless connection. If the wireless light is solid blue, that means, the printer has an active connection to the wireless network.
If your HP Officejet pro 8720 printer is connected using LAN cable, then the printer is not using wireless. In this case it is recommended to turn off the wireless capability.
- From the control panel, touch and slide your finger across the screen, touch Setup -> Network Setup
- Touch Wireless Settings
- Touch Wireless to turn on or off .